News
Corporate backers pull out of Philta


MORE PRESSURE VS ANDRADA

The Philippine Lawn Tennis Association yesterday looked headed to completely crumbling following the withdrawal of more sponsors in protest of Salvador Andrada's refusal to step down from the Philta presidency.

The Quorum Group of Companies is the latest to formally distance itself from the embattled federation, joining Cebuana Lhuiller and Palawan Pawnshop which have earlier withdrawn their support.

Cebuana Lhuiller and Palawan Pawnshop are the organizers of the country’s top age-group tournaments. “We are formally announcing that the tournaments organized by the Toby’s Youth Sports Foundation and Wilson Sports are withdrawing from the Philta calendar,” said Roberto Claudio, CEO of Toby’s Youth Sports Foundation, which has been organizing Toby’s Summer Tennis Festival.

“We believe that it is the right thing to do given the lack of a clearly defined program by the current leadership of the Philta, which has caused the stagnation of sports in the country,” Claudio said.

Aside from the Quantum Group of Companies, former Philta vice president Randy Villanueva also announced that the annual Tru-Flex National Age-Group Tournament will also pull out from the Philta calendar.

Villanueva said the withdrawal of support from top sponsors is the start of a series of protest actions against the 80-year old Andrada, who refused to open the nomination for Philta presidency during the federation’s elections last week.

Andrada, who has been at the helm since 1986 before being appointed as commissioner of the Philippine Sports Commission in 2010, said he will step down “either Thursday or Friday” to give way for a special election.

Andrada's case was being tackled by the Philippine Olympic Committee and the Philippine Sports Commission at press time.

Source: tribune.net.ph

Copyright © PJ LHUILLIER GROUP OF COMPANIES. All rights reserved